“Don’t pray when you feel like it. Have an appointment with the Lord and keep it. A man is powerful on his knees.” -Corrie ten Boom
10. Pray habitually. Pray at the same time every day so that your time of conversation with the Lord becomes engrained in your daily routine.
9. Pray specifically. Rather than spouting off overly generalized prayers such as, “Lord, please heal the sick,” specify exactly who and what you are praying for. For instance, you might pray that God would eradicate the lymphoma your work colleague was recently diagnosed with.
8. Pray thankfully. Are you tempted to spend most of your prayer time voicing an endless stream of complaints about the problems in your life? Make it a point to silence your grumbling; instead identifying the aspects of your life you are thankful for. Embrace a grateful attitude for the blessings He has given you.
7. Pray audibly. When in the appropriate environment, praying aloud can drastically eliminate the distractions that appropriate your mind, enabling you to concentrate entirely on your time with God.
6. Pray in writing. Recording your prayers in a journal allows you to tangibly track your prayer requests and the manner in which God has answered them.
5. Pray collectively. Joining in unified prayer with other believers can be incredibly powerful. Furthermore, if your group opts to meet regularly, your prayer life gains an avenue of accountability.
4. Pray in repentance. The Lord is a forgiving God who loves unconditionally. Repent from sin, which separates you from Him. Seek the redemption of Jesus and realign yourself with God’s will.
3. Pray quietly. Be still and know that He is God. Pursue moments of silence before the Lord, listening intently to what He may say.
2. Pray honestly. Whether or not you voice them, God already knows all your struggles, temptations, doubts, and insecurities. Be authentic. Open your heart to the One who made you.
1. Pray humbly. Before the King of Kings and the Ancient of Days, acknowledge His supremacy. Renounce your pride. Kneel before the Creator of the universe and recognize your smallness.